Esta página también está disponible en español.
If you know someone who is eligible and considering applying for United States citizenship, the time to do it is now. Fees are expected to increase in 2020, fee waivers may be discontinued, and the processing time for applications is currently 8-10 months, so to have a chance to vote in the 2020 elections, you must act quickly.
Local resources in Boerne, Kendall County, and nearby areas can help you with the steps to becoming a United States citizen.
Meet the requirements
The basic requirements to apply for U.S. citizenship are:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a green card (legal permanent resident status) for at least 3 or 5 years
- Be a person of good moral character
- Live in the U.S. for at least 18 or 30 months prior to applying
- Be able to read, write, and speak basic English
- Have knowledge of U.S. history and civics
For more details on each of these requirements, visit the Guide to US Citizenship Requirements from boundless.com.
Apply for naturalization
Legal permanent residents apply for naturalization using form N-400. Here are upcoming events in San Antonio where you can get help completing the application:
- February 1, 2020: Free Citizenship Clinic at the YWCA Olga Madrid Center, 503 Castroville Rd in San Antonio
- Workshop runs 9am-2pm but application services are limited to the first 100 people, so please arrive early
- For more information call 210-590-1844 ext 1022
- February 29, 2020: Free Citizenship Clinic at the South San ISD Administration Building, 5622 Ray Ellison Blvd in San Antonio
- Workshop runs 9am-2pm but application services are limited to the first 75-100 people, so please arrive early
- For more information contact Erika González at American Gateways, 210-521-4768 ext 233 or email email@example.com
Prepare for the English test
Classes in English as a Second Language (ESL) can help you improve English skills and prepare for the United States citizenship test.
- Trinity Presbyterian Church in Boerne offers ESL classes on Mondays from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. Childcare is available. For information, contact 830-815-1212 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boerne ISD offers ESL classes on Wednesdays 5:30pm-8:00pm. Call 210-370-5498 to be placed on wait list.
- The Patrick Heath Public Library in Boerne offers ESL classes but they are currently at capacity. Call 830-249-3053 to be placed on the wait list.
- The Patrick Heath Public Library also offers online ESL learning through the Mango Languages website and app. Create an account using your library card, log in and start learning — or if you need a card or assistance, call 830-249-3053.
- Comfort Public Library offers ESL classes on Wednesdays from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. Walk-ins are welcome, just bring a notebook and pencil or pen. For information, contact 830-995-2398 or email@example.com
- Families & Literacy in Kerrville offers ESL classes. For information, contact 830-896-8787 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Prepare for the citizenship test
Citizenship classes help improve knowledge of U.S. history and government, to prepare you for the civics test you must pass to become a U.S. citizen.
- Academia América offers citizenship classes at several locations in San Antonio. For information contact 210-910-6363 or email@example.com
- Center for Refugee Services offers citizenship classes in San Antonio. For information call 210-949-0062.
- La Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México offers citizenship classes in San Antonio. For information contact 210-222-8626.
- The Patrick Heath Public Library also offers citizenship study through Learning Express online. Create an account using your library card, log in and start learning — or if you need a card or assistance, call 830-249-3053.
- You can also take a practice citizenship test online from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.